Friday, February 12, 2010

Adam Leopard

This post is dedicated entirely to Adam Leopard. Adam Leopard is a friend of mine from college. I met him last semester when he moved onto the same hall I lived on as our SLA (Spiritual Life Adviser). As the semester went on we got to know each other a little better, I used his desk as a place to piece together a puzzle and he was gracious enough to let me leave it there. Adam is one of those guys that I could just walk into his room and sit on his bed and read for a class and just not say anything and it is not awkward at all. He also has a very calming presences.

What does Mr. Adam Leopard have to do with my hundred mile race? Well two things.
1) When I first told him he did not think (at least he did not express this thought) that I was crazy.
2) He said he would come out to my race, even if it was all the way out in Colorado, and watch/be my handler.

What is a handler? 100 miles is a long way to go and most people are not able to run the whole thing without aid. All along the way there are aid stations where there is food, water and handlers can get to their runner. These handlers take care of the runner when they are not able to care for themselves. I have seen handlers carry extra shoes socks etc. for their runner so they could change if their feet got wet. Handlers also may bring special food since all the aid station may have is little candies and other things that the runner may not want. So this special guy said that he would do this for me which was very cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment